Nothing is better then southern fried chicken, so here is my recipe for kosher, dairy free KFC (Kosher Fried chicken)!
2 lb/ 1 kg chicken legs
1 liter sugar free soy milk
3 tbls vinegar
3 tbls Sriracha or chili flakes
For the flour coating:
2 cups white flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup rice flour
5 tbls cornstarch
4 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls mustard powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp celery salt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry thyme
2 tbls paprika
1 liter of oil for deep frying
Equipment required for cooking:
1 large shallow pot for deep frying
A wire rack for drip drying
2 large bowls
1. Pat chicken dry and place in large bowl or bag.
2. Add to bowl or bag the soy milk, vinegar and Sriracha
.3. MIx and let marinade for 1-4 hours
.4. In a separate bowl place all the ingredients for the coating mixture and put aside
.5. When done marinading, it's time to coat the chicken.
Use the one hand wet one hand dry method for success
.6. Shake some of the marinade of the chicken and place in the flour, and squeeze the flour coating onto the chicken. Place in tray and let rest for 30-60 minutes for the coating to stick to the chicken.
7. Place your oil in the pot and bring to 350f/ 175c. Or if you don't have a thermometer, place a piece of bread and see if it starts frying.
8. Once the chicken has rested and the oil is hot, slowly lower the chicken into the hot oil, and let it fry for 6-8 each side. If completely submerged, then 10-14 minutes. While frying move the chicken around the pot so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
9. Once crispy and golden brown, place on cooling rack for 5 minutes and let the oil drip dry and the coating to come completely dry.
Serve hot and enjoy!